Navigation

Why Switch Sockets And Plug Tops Melts

advertisements

Many of you would have seen cases where the switch sockets or the plug tops melts like as though it has been burnt or roasted over a fire. Coincidentally. the melted parts are always the right terminal, be it the switch socket or the plug top. There is a logical reason for this to happen to make those switch sockets and plug tops melt like that.

The Switch Sockets And Plug Tops Melts Due To Overheating Caused By Overloading

Melted-Plug

A Plug With A Melted Pin Caused By Overloading

There are two reasons as to why a switch socket and a plug melts.

  1. Due to the heat caused by overloading the capacity that the sockets and the plugs are made to withstand.
  2. The sockets and plugs are not manufactured to specification

Overloading

The normal domestic switch sockets are designed to withstand a electricity load of 15 to 20 amps. Whenever any equipment or apparatus exceeds that load, the safety fuse inside the plug top must blow off thus cutting off the electricity supply to that particular equipment. This is to prevent any accidents happening.

Trouble starts when the user tries to outsmart what has been specified by experts and use a fuse that can withstand a higher load. Most common practice is to add a extra strand of fuse wire to the fuse thus increasing the capacity the fuse can take.

When an apparatus has a load that exceeds what the sockets and the plugs are made for and since the fuse can now take the load, the sockets and the plug pins starts to heat up instead of the fuse blowing.

After prolonged use, the heat generated will be so great that the switch sockets and the plugs gets roasted and melts.

Socket---overloaded

Using too many equipments simultaneously can overload the Sockets

Not Manufactured To Specification

Switch Sockets and plug tops are designed to withstand a certain current load. Thus the materials used to manufacture these electrical parts must meet the standard set and approved by the Electrical Board.

However, many outlets and consumers would rather buy the cheaper ones that has no approval stamps. These cheap sockets and plugs always do not conform to safety specifications. The copper strips and bars are often thinner and slimmer than the approved ones. When this sockets are used they heat up very much faster causing them the melt even when they are not overloaded.

This cut down in material saves the manufacturer a lot in cost thus they can afford to sell them cheaply. They however are not concerned about the safety of the consumer.

How To Prevent Switch Sockets And Plug Tops From Melting

Common sense will prevent a lot of accidents happening in the house.

One, Always remember NOT to overload the Sockets and the Plugs by using too many equipment with one socket at the same time. This is especially important with power hungry utensils like and oven, a grill cooker or a hot iron. Use separate sockets for each of these equipment to prevent any of them getting overloaded.

Two, NEVER try to make the provided safety blow out fuse take more load than it is designed to be. Let the fuse do it’s work. If a fuse blows, it serves as a warning that you are overloading the circuit and it is time for you to stop before any mishaps happens.

Three, NEVER be penny wise and pound foolish by buying switch sockets and plugs that are not manufactured according to safety specifications.

Use your common sense and all the switch sockets and plug in your house will never melt again.


advertisements